Facials and beauty treatments are a popular part of a self-care ritual for many women – and men too. Beauty experts and therapists, spas and clinics, use a wide variety of therapies to ensure optimal skin health and skin care benefits. Inspired by Korean beauty treatments, skin icing is a refreshing and revitalising technique that boasts instantly noticeable appearance improvements and anti-ageing benefits.
Skin icing is a morning and evening ritual that anyone can perform at home. It instantly refreshes the face, improves blood circulation, gives the complexion a healthy glow and fights blemishes and acne, whilst also preventing the formation of wrinkles. That’s not bad, when you consider that the ‘product’ you are using is simply frozen water!
For additional benefits, add skin friendly ingredients like lemon, rosewater, green tea, cucumber or chamomile tea, to the water that you make the ice cubes with.
Smoothing The Skin
Skin icing tightens the skin and frees enlarged pores of excess sebum, so that they can shrink. This toning effect instantly makes the skin appear smoother.
When applied before make-up, skin icing helps to minimise the appearance of the pores so that foundation looks smooth and flawless. Once the face has been iced you can apply primer.
Skin icing improves blood circulation by making the body react to the cold treatment. Ice constricts blood vessels, which means that less blood reaches the skin. When the body reacts, it sends an increased flow of blood to the treated area. This is good news when treating areas of inflammation or swelling. If you have broken capillaries however, skin icing is best avoided in favour of a different type of facial treatment.
When applied around the delicate eye area, skin icing reduces puffiness, swelling and bags under the eyes.
Skin icing soothes irritation and is a great treatment for minimising redness, blemishes and pimples. Once a new pimple appears icing the skin slows down the inflammation rate and reduces the size of the blemish. The technique can be safely used every day to improve the skin’s appearance.
How To Ice The Skin:
- Start by cleansing the face thoroughly
- Place one or two ice cubes in a piece of gauze or a soft cloth
- If you want to apply the ice directly to the skin, make sure that you wear protective latex gloves so that you can hold the ice without it slipping
- Wrap the ice cubes securely, and when the ice begins to melt apply directly to the face
- Hold the cube of ice on specific areas on the face for 1-2 minutes
- Use gentle circular motions, and work your way from the chin and jaw line, up to the cheeks, and along the forehead and nose
- Take special care around the eye area
- The complete facial treatment should take no longer than 15 minutes
- When finished, apply moisturiser to the cool, damp skin
Treat someone special in your life to a Virgin Experience Days Spa treatment.
Or check out our amazing discount codes to see what else is on offer.