The 18th Century Origins
The origins of the museum lie in the will of a Physician Dr. Hans Sloane a collector and naturalist. Sloane collected over 71,000 objects which he wanted preserved after his death. The gifts largely a collection of books, manuscripts, natural specimens and some antiquities was accepted on June 7th 1753 as an act of Parliament. The museum was open on 15 January, 1759.
Gallery Open Times
- Most galleries are open 10:00 to 17:30
- Most are open Friday to 22.30
- Closing start at 17:20, 20:20 on Fridays
- Great Court opening times
- Including Tickets and Information
- Open daily 9:00 to 18:00
- Until 20:30 on Fridays
Become part of something. Support the collection and receive exclusive benefits including special events and unlimited free entry to exhibitions. You may also like access to the National Trust check out memberships on our page.
About this Site
This site has been developed to access and engage with the Museum’s collection online and to provide practical information for people planning to visit the Museum.
We are committed to make all web based information services and learning resources, on the Museums website accessible to all users.
My voucher code discount
Get deals and discount at MyVoucherCodes.co.uk and receive deals and discounts on purchases from the British Museum. Samplings of deals are shown. Get voucher codes in your inbox. Like on Facebook and collect additional deals.
MyVoucherCodes is the UKs leading discount website. It launched in November 2006 and provides sales, discounts and voucher code information to millions of consumers across the UK every month. MyVoucherCodes is part of Markco Media Group, the largest voucher, discount and money saving company in Europe.
- How do I become a member? Join online by credit or debit card, or by setting up an annual direct debit.
- How does E-ticket work? When you buy a ticket online you are buying a ticket known as an e-ticket. After you select your preferred exhibition online, you will prompted to pay with a credit or debit card. The screen will present you with a payment confirmation receipt and an order confirmation will be emailed to you.